This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
Store bought dressings are often filled with additives. Always pay attention to your ingredient listed on the product. Making your own homemade basic balsamic vinaigrette is by far the easiest solution, and it's so simple to make!
You can make this ahead of time, but with any type of vinaigrette, we suggest that you try and make it as fresh as possible.
You want to purchase a high quality olive oil. This is one area where you want to splurge a little.
Extra-virgin olive oil has a lower acidity than virgin olive oil. It is cold-pressed which means that it doesn't get altered at all from a heat source. This makes it perfect for dressings and vinaigrette's. The aroma is also more fragrant.
- I found this great tutorial on how to make your own olive oil. That is something that I am definitely going to try! I will let you know how it goes.
- The ripeness of the olive is what defines if it is black or green. The greens ones are not ripe and the black ones are.
More vegan recipes
Use this balsamic vinaigrette on this vegan gluten free dish:
We would love to know if you give this vegan basic balsamic vinaigrette a try. Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
Basic Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil extra virgin
- There are a few ways to emulsify a dressing (so it doesn’t separate), but I enjoy the closed lid/shake method.
- Add all of the ingredients into a glass with a lid and shake, shake, shake until it is well blended.
- You can whisk the oil in slowly to emulsify or put all the ingredients in a blender on low and add the oil slowly for the same result.