This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
Like many other parents, we didn't want our kid's go-to breakfast becoming boxed cereal as they got older. After a lot of attempts at granola, we feel this recipe is the best healthy breakfast granola yet!
When the kids where born we got more serious about looking at our breakfast options. We were typical toast, bacon and eggs, or "healthy" cereal people.
Breakfast was dull and something that we did because breakfast is "the most important meal of the day" right...?
Actually, intermittent fasting has been found to be very useful for some. Having room temperature water 20 minutes before any food in the morning has had positive effects for many as well.
Tip: Adding lemon and sea salt to your water helps with acidity as lemon converts to a base in the gut.
I am a huge believer that what works for one person, does not work for another. In my years working with women as a Nutritional Clinical Practitioner, I have never given the same recommendations to any two people.
That is why you will never hear me recommend a particular "diet" or way of eating.
Anthony and I both believe that everyone should be eating more plant-based food no matter what they believe the best "diet" to be. That is why we love to share our passion for vegan dishes with all of you!
How to make granola
There are only two steps basically. Mix all of the ingredients and bake! I'll break it down here more to show you exactly what we do.
Step 1: Combine all dry ingredients.
Step 2: Add maple syrup
Step 3: Spread granola evenly onto a baking sheet and place in oven.
Let the granola cool for 20 minutes if you like crunchy granola. If you love warm granola, add some oat milk and enjoy right away!
- Nuts: You really can use any nuts that you like in this crunchy granola recipe. We have often gone with whatever we have in the pantry. Our favorite to really bring out the flavor is pecans!
- Sweetener: You could use honey but we prefer maple syrup in most of our granola. It is just easier to work with.
- Unsweetened coconut: This adds such a nice texture to the mix.
- Cinnamon: This is a must, it adds so much flavor and fragrance.
- Oats: Gluten-free oats are great.
- Toss in some vegan chocolate chips!
- Add in pumpkin seeds.
- We love adding in salted peanut butter in our morning bowl, it is so yummy!
- You can add in some dried fruit, cranberries, or raisins as well.
We would love to know if you try this recipe or any other of our recipes out! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
More vegan gluten-free recipes
- Refrigerate: This will last in the fridge in a sealed container for 5-7 days.
- Freeze: Store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Best Healthy Breakfast Granola
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup oats gluten-free
- ½ cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch ginger
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- Turn oven to 250°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. We skip this sometimes for this recipe but do recommend doing it. It saves the lifespan of your baking sheets.
- Combine all ingredients together, mixing well.
- Spread evenly onto baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the granola after 10 minutes.
- Serve as is or add fresh or frozen fruit.
Nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary depending on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.