This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
Delicious Cashew Mushroom Cream Sauce that is homemade, easy to make, and versatile to use!
Mushroom soup on toast used to be a childhood favorite of mine!
Beautiful sauteed mushrooms, garlic, cream… how could you not love it?!
Well, for starters, it’s made with heavy cream and butter and more butter… my heart is starting to hurt just thinking about it.
This vegan version provides all the flavor, without the guilt.
It is made with cashews so it will not be low calorie but it is exceptional and a must-have to use whenever you need a mushroom sauce.
- Refrigerate: This cream sauce actually tastes better the next day so it works really well for those that don't like leftovers. Place in fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. That being said, we don't recommend freezing this recipe. It just doesn't hold the consistency and flavor the same.
- Reheat: This recipe is easy to reheat quickly when in a rush, heat in a saucepan on medium heat until warm.
This mushroom sauce tastes great any time of year but we tend to make it more in the fall/winter months.
We also tend to enjoy wine more during those months!
Something about being inside more, a warm fireplace or even to enjoy after we go skiing, wine has a way of adding ambiance to our evenings.
According to Anthony's expertise, you want to mirror the creamy texture of this vegan sauce with a pairing of an oak-aged Chardonnay or pick up on the mushrooms' earthiness with a red burgundy or other Pinot Noir.
MORE VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE RECIPES
If you happen to try this Cashew Mushroom Cream Sauce, please let us know!
Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
- Replace Onions with shallots.
- Use a mixture of gourmet mushrooms.
- Replace vermouth with whisky or cognac for a deeper taste.
- Use rosemary in place of parsley.
Best Cashew Mushroom Cream Sauce Tips
- In pasta similar to a mushroom alfredo.
- Use as a sauce over polenta (like you see in the picture).
- As a sauce over tofu or mashed potatoes.
- Use butter and oil, using both add so much creaminess.
- You can use any type of mushroom for this recipe but we highly suggest that you stick with the Cremini as we have here!
Cashew Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste
- 2 10 ounce packages of Cremini mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup parsley fresh, chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup cashews soaked for a minimum of one hour.
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup vermouth
- To make the cashew base, blend ½ cashews with 1 cup of fresh water in a high-speed blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Put butter and oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add vermouth and saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock along with the cashew mixture and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until it thickens to your desired texture.
- Add in parsley at the end of cooking as a finishing herb.