This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
This Gluten Free Coffee and Walnut Cake is light, moist, and has a perfectly balanced flavor! Topped with a beautiful golden streusel and chopped walnuts to add a nice crunch. This coffee cake is perfect for tea-time, with coffee for breakfast or with some vegan vanilla ice cream for dessert!
Baking gluten-free and vegan can honestly be tricky. We found either vegan or gluten-free easy but both gluten-free and vegan were tough.
We struggled for a long time to really nail the consistency when it came to cakes and muffins. They always came out dry, and more often than not, they came out mushy.
We have always enjoyed the flavors of coffee and walnuts in a cake so this cake has been on our list of achievements for a while, we are very happy to finally be able to share this recipe!
You will find the whole list of ingredients in the recipe card below, but it is important to point out a couple of things.
Use quality coffee for this cake. If you are a coffee drinker you will appreciate that you will be able to tell the difference.
The cinnamon and allspice make the flavors pull together!
Coffee and Walnut Cake Ingredients
Step 1: Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Make the streusel first. You will need this to layer the coffee cake. Place rice flour, almond flour, oat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and sea salt into a medium-sized bowl. Combine using a whisk.
In a separate small bowl, add the vegan butter and maple syrup.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, using your hands, create a crumble consistency.
Step 2: Add oat flour, rice flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cornstarch, and sea salt to a mixer bowl or medium-sized bowl. In a small bowl add apple sauce, almond milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, vegan butter, and coffee and combine well.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
Step 3: Now, you need to layer the coffee cake. Grease a 7" round pan. Add about half of the batter to the pan, followed by half of the streusel. If you would like, you could add some walnuts before adding the final layers.
Add the remaining half of the batter and then the remaining streusel. Top with chopped walnuts and place into the oven for 35 minutes.
Step 4: Serve with coffee, tea or even ice cream!
- This recipe for gluten-free coffee and walnut cake works because we strategically tested the flour combination. We attempted this recipe numerous times with various gluten-free flours and they were all terrible. To be honest, one was so bad that no one would eat it... lol We highly recommend that you stick with the flours that we have listed to keep the consistency.
- Coffee matters. You want to purchase organic coffee since coffee is one of the dirtiest foods we consume.
- If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, feel free to add 3-4 tablespoons.
Variations and Substituations
- We love coffee in this recipe but espresso is nice as well!
- Add chopped pecans to the top as well for added protein and crunch.
- Toss some chocolate to the top.
- Use full-fat coconut milk.
Absoluetly, an organic decaffinated coffee works just fine.
Yes, we prefer to grind our beans and make fresh coffee but you can certainly use instant coffee for this recipe.
- Refrigerator: This gluten-free coffee and walnut cake store nicely in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Freezer: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months in the freezer. We suggest that you precut the slices for easy serving.
- Re-heat: This cake is versatile and serves well warm or cold. Simply heat in the microwave for 30-40 seconds and serve!
Who doesn't love dessert! Vegan and gluten-free desserts don't have to taste like cardboard... Here are a few more vegan chocolate recipes that you may enjoy!
If you happen to try these Gluten Free Coffee and Walnut Cake, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
Gluten Free Coffee and Walnut Cake
- 2 small bowls.
- 1 small bowl.
- Stand mixer.
- 7" round pan.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tspeaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons walnuts chopped
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teapoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Heat oven to 350° and grease a 7 inch round pan.
- Make the streusel first. You will need this to layer the coffee cake.
- Place rice flour, almond flour, oat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and sea salt into a medium-sized bowl. Combine using a whisk.
- In a seperate small bowl, add the vegan butter and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, using your hands, create a crumble consistency.
- Add oat flour, rice flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cornstarch, and sea salt to a mixer bowl or medium-sized bowl.
- In a small bowl add apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, almond milk, vegan butter, and coffee and combine well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Place half the cake batter into the pan, then add half of the streusel. Add the remaining batter and top with the remaining streusel. Top with walnuts.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool and serve!
Nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary depending on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.