This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
This is the best Homemade Vegan Smokey BBQ Sauce Recipe! It is also gluten-free like all of our recipes and it can be made in just a few minutes.
Homemade barbeque sauce is the way to go. Store-bought tends to be packed with additives and high in refined-sugar.
We highly recommend that you make this Homemade Vegan Smokey BBQ Sauce Recipe often to have it on hand.
- Shallots: Shallots are not as potent as other onions and have a slight hint of garlic flavor.
- Garlic: Garlic is the king of everything, isn't it!
- Grapeseed oil: We use grapeseed oil a lot but you can certainly use olive oil. Use extra virgin olive oil since it is processed without using heat.
- Chili powder: To add a bit of heat. You can reduce this or add more depending on your taste.
- Smoked paprika: The added smokey flavor comes from the incredible depth of smoked paprika.
- Black pepper: Black pepper adds to the smell of the dish with its woody aroma and adds some heat.
- Sea salt: Increases sweetness and texture to the recipe.
- Apple cider vinegar: The tartness of ACV helps to balance the sweetness.
- Tamari: Tamari is a gluten-free soy sauce but it is a bit richer.
- Maple syrup: This gives the perfect sweetness!
- Ketchup: Ketchup adds flavor, sweetness, and color. We suggest that you use organic ketchup to avoid added preservatives in regular ketchup. You can use crushed tomatoes instead but you will need to add some extra sweetener.
Step 1: Using a small pot, combine grapeseed oil, shallot, and garlic together until well combined. Sautee on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until nicely browned.
Step 2: Add chili powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and sea salt. Stir thoroughly.
Step 3: Next, add the apple cider vinegar, Tamari, and maple syrup, and stir and mix well.
Step 4: Lastly, add in ketchup, stir until well combined, and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- If you like heat, add pepper flakes or hot sauce.
- Instead of maple syrup, try molasses for added richness.
- Add some whiskey to make this a whiskey BBQ sauce.
BBQ sauce has countless uses from being an aside piece to a dish to be the center of a recipe.
- Use as a dipping sauce for these General TSO Cauliflower Bites.
- As the dressing in this incredible Smokey BBQ Vegan Buddha Bowl with Tofu.
- The perfect condiment for these Black Bean Walnut Burgers.
We highly recommend that you make this ahead of time so that you always have it on hand when you need it.
- Refrigerate: Store in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.
- Freeze: Although this recipe doesn't taste as good in our opinion when frozen, barbeque sauce can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. It has to be kept in an air-tight container or freezer bag.
MORE VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE RECIPES
We would love to know if you give this Homemade Vegan Gluten-Free BBQ Sauce a try. Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
Homemade Vegan Smokey Barbeque Sauce Recipe
- 1 Shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- ¾ cup ketchup
- Using a small pot, combine grapeseed oil, shallot, and garlic.
- Sautee on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Add chili powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and sea salt. Stir until well combined.
- Next, add the apple cider vinegar, Tamari, and maple syrup to the mix and stir until well combined.
- Lastly, add in ketchup, stir until well combined, and let simmer for 3 minutes.
You can use amino acids instead in this recipe.
You can use fresh lemon juice instead of the ACV to balance the sweetness.
No, but if you want some heat add some chilli flakes or cayenne.