This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
This gluten-free vegan lentil bolognese recipe is perfect for rainy or chilly days. It is hearty and gives you that warm and cozy feeling that you get when you have that perfect bowl of hot soup by the fire. After several failed attempts, Anthony has come up with a version that even our kids will eat!
Admittedly, I am not a fan of leftovers. I never have but I was starving the next day after having this so I decided to reheat it, and it was really good.
I added some fresh basil to it once I plated it and some sea salt and I found it really brought out the flavors.
How to make this recipe
I prefer to eat this on spaghetti but you can eat it on top of crispy bread or as a side dish.
- Refrigerate: This will last in the fridge in a sealed container for 3-5 days. I always recommend that you eat leftovers or make-ahead meals the next day though if possible.
- Freeze: Store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: An easy meal to reheat quickly when in a rush, heat in a saucepan on medium heat until warm. Add sea salt to freshen up flavors and top with fresh basil!
You may not know this yet but Anthony has over a decade of experience in the alcohol industry. He has a taste for fine wine and his scope of knowledge on pairing wine with certain dishes is pretty impressive. He knows what works and what doesn't. Unlike me... I pick my wine based on two areas of importance; how pretty the label is and that it's red!
According to Anthony's expertise you want to pair this dish with a nice medium-bodied red, like a Chilean cab or a Belgian style blonde ale if you are into beer pairings.
- You can serve this gluten-free lentil bolognese over squash if you want something a bit different and still delicious. I love the spaghetti squash recipe over at Minimalist Baker. Anthony and I have been following Dana and making her recipes since she very first started out blogging.
- We have also enjoyed this with rice. I personally still prefer it over spaghetti though.
Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and chopped
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 15 ounce can of lentils drained and rinsed
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and papper
- basil for garnish
- Sautee onion, garlic, carrots and celery in oil until transulcent.
- Add tomato paste and mix with the sauteed vegetables.
- Add wine and stir until you see some slight bubbling.
- Add vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, spices, herbs and lentils.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Top with fresh basil. Serve along side or on top of pasta, rice or potatoes.
- Serve with crusty bread if desired.
Let us know if you tried this lentil bolognese recipe out or any other recipe on our site. We read all of your comments and would love to hear how it turned out for you!