This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
There are lots of variations for veggie burgers. Unfortunately, lots that we have tired have been dry or bland. These Smokey Beet and Black Bean burgers however are not only flavorful but actually juicy!
After creating our Black Bean Walnut Burgers we got inspired to try even more burger variations. These veggie burgers only require 12 ingredients, are ready in just 35 minutes, and are dairy and gluten-free!
Loaded with nutrients and packed with protein from ingredients like beets, nuts, and black beans. Plus, just look at that color from the beets. Definitely, the prettiest burger we have ever eaten!
- Black beans: Great source of protein and fiber.
- Red onion: Add sweetness and color.
- Garlic: Everything needs garlic!
- Mixed nuts: You can use salted or unsalted, adjust added sea salt to your taste.
- Grapeseed oil: We really like the taste of grapeseed oil but you can easily use extra virgin olive oil.
- Tamari: Made from fermented soybeans, has a dark, rich flavor, and is gluten-free.
- Smokey BBQ sauce: Use our Homemade Smokey BBQ Sauce!
- White rice: You can make the rice ahead to save time.
- Sea salt: Added for flavor.
- Cracked black pepper: You can substitute with ground black pepper.
- Mushrooms: Cremini is really tasty but you can substitute for any mushroom
- Beet: Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals and add incredible color to the burgers!
Step 1: Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside until needed.
Step 2: In a medium-sized frying pan, saute garlic and onion in 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil on medium heat for 3 minutes.
Step 3: Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from heat, add a can of black beans and mash to combine using a potato masher.
Step 5: Grate beet.
Step 6: Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine, this is easiest using your hands.
Step 7: Form into burger patties and place in the fridge to set. About 30 minutes.
Step 8: Saute for 3-4 minutes per side and top with your favorite toppings!
There are many variations that would work for this recipe. Here are a few options.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes instead of rice.
- Chopped fresh parsley or rosemary adds a nice flavor!
- Use quinoa instead of rice.
So many options on how to serve these Smokey Beet and Black Bean Burgers, go with what you love!
Here are some suggestions that we like:
- On top of your favorite salad.
- Garnished with avocado and caramelized onion.
- On your favorite vegan gluten-free bun.
- Add our Kale and Walnut Pesto to spice it up!
- Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: These freeze well for up to 2 months. Fry right out of the freezer.
- Reheat: Reheat by frying in oil until heated through or in the oven until warm, The microwave makes these taste soft and mushy so avoid doing that.
No, they are too delicate for the BBQ.
Absoluetly, these are incredible as part of a Buddha bowl!
White rice or Arborio are best. Arborio is naturally sticky so would be easy to work with but we prefer the texture of the white rice.
More vegan gluten-free recipes
We would love to know if you tried this Smokey Beet and Black Bean Burgers or any other recipe on our site! Leave a comment and rate it below. Don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
Smokey Beet and Black Bean Burgers
- ¼ cup white rice cooked
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 tablespoon grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked bell pepper
- 540 millileters black beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 1 beet grated
- ¼ cup mixed nuts unsalted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 tablespoon smokey BBQ sauce
- Sautee garlic, onion in oil using a medium saucepan on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, saute for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add black beans and mash to combine with a potato masher.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix in a medium bowl, best done with hands.
- Form into burger patties and place in the fridge to set. About 30 minutes.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes per side and top with your favorite toppings!
Nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary depending on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.