This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
This is the best Vegan Cheese Sauce! There are countless ways to use it. It is creamy, delicious, gluten-free, and vegan! Plus is easy to make and only uses 8 ingredients!
If you miss cheese on your burger, try out our Smokey Beet and Black Bean Burgers and top with this addictive cashew cheese sauce!
You don't have to miss out of the joys and texture of cheese just because you are vegan and this recipe proves it!
- Cashews: Raw cashews are a typical ingredient used in making vegan cheese because it makes it creamy, smooth and tastes incredible! Cashews provide healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
- Water: Helps to provide the consistency and texture needed to get a true cheese feel.
- Nutritional yeast: Great because it provides a nutty, cheesy flavor and gluten and dairy-free. It comes in powder or in flakes. We used flakes in this recipe.
- Smoked paprika: Adds color and flavor to the recipe.
- Himalayan salt:
- Black pepper: Provided just a slight heat and depth.
- Chili powder: Adds color and richness without making it spicy.
- Garlic powder: Sweeter than fresh garlic and less assertive. Works really nicely in this recipe!
Step 1: The first thing that you need to do is soak the raw cashews. A quick soak is done by soaking in hot water for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Mix all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as required to your taste.
Step 3: Heat in a small saucepot prior to serving. Keep refrigerated in an air-tight container when not in use.
- Make sure to soak raw cashews, this makes blending easier and the consistency smooth.
- Look for nutritional yeast that does not have synthetic folic acid.
- Versatile, don't be afraid to use on various recipes.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add jalapenos or chipotle peppers to give heat if you prefer spicey vegan cheese sauce. Simply add into the blender with all the other ingredients.
- Once the sauce is blended and heated, add chopped heirloom tomatoes to give added flavor.
- Saute garlic and onion, then add to blender with all ingredients to add depth and flavor to the cheese sauce.
- This is the best vegan Nacho cheese sauce to coat your favorite nacho platter!
- Makes the perfect creamy, light, and decadent pasta.
- This recipe makes the best vegan baked potato toppings!
- Such a flavorful addition to enchiladas.
- Adds a great touch to vegan tacos.
"Nutritional yeast comes from a species of yeast known as Saccharomyces cerevisiae. There is another form of this yeast species, which is called brewer’s yeast. Although people sometimes use the terms interchangeably, it is essential to note that nutritional yeast is not the same as brewer’s yeast".medicalnewstoday.com
Yes, it is! It is also plant-based.
Easy, add one teaspoon of water to thin to your desired consistency.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup quick soaked cashews
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt sea or Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Soak raw cashews in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as required to your taste.
- Heat in a small saucepot prior to serving.
- Keep refrigerated in an air-tight container when not in use.
Nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary depending on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.