This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
These homemade vegan chocolate caramel turtles are so good, and they are easy to make! The best part about them, besides being delicious, is that they are a healthy treat!
A perfect treat to make for the holiday season especially. They help reduce some of the sweet-tooth guilt too since they are a healthier treat or even a snack!
They make great kids treats as well since they are easy and fun to make and don't take too much time.
- Dates: We often use dates as a sweetener. They give a nice chewy texture that is perfect for the caramel in this recipe! Medjool dates are the best because they are large, sweet, and moist.
- Peanut butter: We like smooth peanut butter for these pecan treats but you can use chunky peanut butter if you want added crunch. Sea salt peanut butter gives a really nice flavor as well!
- Vanilla extract: We highly recommend that you stretch the budget and buy organic pure vanilla. If that isn't possible, go with something like this natural Madagascar vanilla extract since the artificial doesn't give the same rich flavor
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk gives a nice creamy rich taste.
- Pecans: The base and crunch of the classic turtle. You can also use salted pecans.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate typically has some sugar in it but much less than milk chocolate. Go with 70% or higher to get the best results.
Start by lining a baking tray with wax paper.
Step 1: In a high-speed blender, add 1 cup of dates, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and ¼ cup of coconut milk.
Step 2: Place pecans in small bunches and cover each bunch with a tablespoon of caramel. Place in freezer to firm for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Heat ½ cup chocolate in a double boiler. You can use a microwave to melt the chocolate but be sure to only heat for 15 seconds at a time and stir in between to avoid burning the chocolate.
Carefully spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate over the pecan clusters. Place the tray back in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- Add toffee bits to the caramel to the top of the turtles.
- Use walnuts instead of pecans.
- Add sea salt to turn these into salted caramel turtles!
- Use 70% dark vegan chocolate for a nice deep rich taste.
- If you want a thicker sticky caramel, reduce coconut milk slightly.
- Make a double batch and freeze for when you need a snack or company is over.
- Serve with hot chocolate or coffee to give that warm cozy feel.
These need to be kept in the freezer. They will just become a gooey mess in the fridge (we tried).
You can make big batches because they freeze well and go quick. Make sure to use a freezer safe air-tight container to avoid freezer burn and maintain the fabulous taste of these chocolate turtles.
More Gluten-free Vegan Recipes
- No-Bake Crispy Peanut Butter Balls
- Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Caramel Cookie Bars
We would love to know if you give these Vegan Chocolate Caramel Turtles a try. Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
Absolutely, feel free to try these with peanuts or any other nut you have on hand!
Yes, although I much prefer the taste and consistency that coconut milk gives these vegan turtles.
We recommend at least 70% dark chocolate. Make sure to read the label for dairy-free, some will be marked vegan and/or organic.
Vegan Chocolate Caramel Turtles
- 1 cup dates Medjool
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter smooth
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract pure
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ cup dark chocolate melted
- Line a baking tray with wax paper.
- Blend the dates, peanut butter, coconut milk, and vanilla extract in a high-speed blender.
- Place pecans in small bunches on the baking tray. Add a spoonful, about 1 tablespoon, of caramel to each bunch of pecans. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Using a double boiler or microwave, heat chocolate.
- Spoon chocolate over caramel of each pecan cluster. Place back into teh freezer for 30 minutes to harden.