This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, we may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see our Disclosure Policy for full details.
Smooth Vegan Custard flavored with pure vanilla and a pinch of turmeric for color. Easy to make with only 6 ingredients and ready in 5 minutes!
Typically custard is made with eggs, milk, and/or cream. It is rich and creamy and a small amount is all you need to feel satisfied.
It really is not difficult to create an equally delicious, smooth, and creamy custard option that is both vegan and gluten-free!
Honestly, all you need is a few ingredients and 5-10 minutes.
This recipe served 4 but that depends on how you are going to serve it, and how much custard you like in one serving.
My son really likes custard so it was important to come up with a vegan, gluten-free option both for him and for us to enjoy. His favorite is served with blueberries but you can add any toppings that you like.
You will find the complete list and measurements in the recipe card below but there are a few key points worth mentioning.
- If you want a thick vegan custard than you want to use ½ cup of corn starch.
- Reduce the tumeric to ¼ teaspoon if you don't want as bright of a yellow color.
- You can use any type of vegan milk, but I am not a fan of nut milk for this one because it does give it the nutty flavor. If you don't like coconut, go for oat or soy milk instead.
Step 1: Whip the cornstarch and coconut milk in a medium-sized bowl with hand beaters or using a stand mixer. This will allow you to have a nice smooth custard.
Step 2: In a small saucepot, heat the coconut mixture on low-medium heat. Add sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and turmeric.
Whisk constantly throughout the entire time. Lastly, add in the Earth Balance. The custard takes about 3-5 minutes to thicken.
- This vegan custard will go rubbery once cool and in the fridge. That is completely normal, especially if you want a thicker cutard and add more cornstarch. This is pretty common for any custard. All you have to do is whip it for 1-2 minutes until it is a nice smooth consistency again before serving.
- If you want to make this even more decadent, use coconut cream instead of milk!
- Double the ingredients to make more but remember, you don't need large servings since this is a decadent treat, a little goes a long way.
This vegan custard tastes incredible as is! You can add any fruit topping that you desire, coconut flakes, chocolate chunks, or shavings, try it with our maple whiskey nuts! You could whip up some coconut cream and add it to the top, yum!
It also makes a fantastic pastry cream in vegan eclairs or doughnuts.
Serve on top of another dessert, like our coffee cake!
You can warm it up and add some cinnamon or eat it cold with some frozen blueberries. There really is no right or wrong way to eat this dessert.
Refrigerator: This dairy-free custard can be kept in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. Once you remove it from the fridge you will need to whip it and then top it with your desired toppings.
Heat: I love this vegan custard recipe warm, serve with coconut whip cream! Yum!
Freezer: This recipe doesn't freeze well.
Traditional custard is loaded with milk/cream, and eggs. This recipe offers the substitutions to make a vegan option.
Pastry cream is thicker than custard. To make this custard into pastry cream, simply add more corn starch.
If you are looking for even more delicious vegan desserts, here are a few of our favorites!
We would love to know if you give this Vegan Custard a try. Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to follow us @coupleofseeds on Instagram.
- 1 can coconut milk 400ml
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance
- In a medium bowl with beaters, or using a stand mixer, whip coconut milk, and corn starch until well combined.
- In a small saucepan on low-medium heat, add the coconut mixture, vanilla, lemon juice, and turmeric. Stir constantly until reaching your desired thickness. This takes 2-5 minutes.
- Let sit until thickened. Serve warm immediately or chill. If you chill the custard, you will need to whip it for 2-3 minutes to soften.
Nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary depending on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.